Looking to spruce up your standard baby green salad? This healthy salad mix is full of tasty ingredients that is sure to please! Starting with a sweet maple dressing, crunchy apples and topped with candied pecans, it will make you rethink your next salad.
I like to try and include some sort of salad with most table meals, and I am always looking to move away from traditional garden salads. Growing up, our dinner salads were always the same: romaine lettuce, cucumber, onion, tomato, and an olive oil/vinegar dressing. While this is a great simple salad, I knew I could do better. Now don’t get me wrong, I do still make that same dressing out of convenience, as I certainly enjoy it more than most store bought dressings. It’s fun adding new things to salads, like fruit or nuts for example, which can instantly improve both their appearance and taste.
This salad recipe is one of my favourites, because it boasts a sweet and salty flavor that I just love, and I know you will too! Hope you enjoy it!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- 100g of any mixed baby greens such as romaine, arugula, frisee or radicchio
- 1 granny smith apple thinly sliced
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan
- Candied Pecans:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup raw pecans
- Maple-balsamic dressing:
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Candied Pecans: To make the candied pecans, set a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the butter and sugar and once it has melted toss in the pecans and continue to toss to coat and cook evenly, about 1 minute. Transfer to a sheet tray lined with waxed paper, let cool and set.
- Dressing: Make the dressing by combining the chopped shallot, Dijon and balsamic vinegar in a large mixing bowl. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while you whisk to emulsify. Add the maple syrup and season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Salad: Assemble the salad by tossing greens and apple slices in a large mixing bowl with maple-balsamic dressing. Top with shaved parmesan and candied pecans.