This Balsamic Kale with Italian Sausage makes for a great side dish or quick lunch. Not only is it easy to prepare, it also helps you get your daily dose of greens.
Everyone seems to be crazy for kale these days and it’s no wonder, with it being packed with so many valuable vitamins and minerals. Kale is low in calories, high in fibre, iron, vitamin A, K, C and calcium and a great anti-inflammatory food. It truly is a nutritional powerhouse, and this recipe makes it easy to enjoy.
This dish is perfect as a side with dinner or alone as a quick lunch. At lunch I usually pair it with a piece of toast, it’s quick, easy, and I can feel good about it. It also holds well being refrigerated then re-heated again.
If you like it a bit spicier, opt for some spicy Italian Sausage to give it a bit more kick, although it already has lots of flavor!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- One large bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and cut into bit size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Package of mild or spicy Italian sausage (usually 5 sausages)
- ½ cup chopped fine onion
- 1-2 roasted garlic cloves (put olive oil on cloves, put on pan in oven , brown till soft/brown
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Balsamic vinegar to drizzle
- Heat oil in pan on med high heat.
- Remove the casing from sausages (squish out!) , crumble, fry until golden on med heat. Drain oil.
- Stir in onion, garlic, seasoning and cook 3 minutes.
- Add broth and kale. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes- kale will reduce to a lot less than what you started with.
- Uncover and reduce the liquid till almost gone, about 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, drizzle with balsamic vinegar