Buttermilk banana pancakes with hemp hearts and honey roasted strawberries may be the perfect breakfast for Father’s Day tomorrow! These incredibly fluffy, moist and oh so yummy pancakes are taken up a notch with the addition of honey roasted strawberries. Strawberries are in season right now (at least they are in Ontario), and they are one of our absolute favourite fruits. When you toast the strawberries in the oven, their flavour intensifies and I swear they taste like candy! My whole family just can’t get enough!
Lately we’ve been topping our pancakes with almond butter, followed by granola and of course maple syrup. In addition I include as much cut up fruit as possible including blueberries, bananas, strawberries and whatever else is in season at the time. The addition of hemp hearts give these buttermilk banana pancakes an added nutritional boast. If you’ve never used hemp hearts before, you’re in for a treat. They are truly a superfood and contain 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of omega-3 and omega-6 per 30-gram serving (more than a comparable serving of flax or chia). In addition, they are high in iron, thiamine, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and manganese. I try to use hemp hearts in everything as they are so easy to sneak in and you can’t taste them.
We hope that you give these wonderful buttermilk banana pancakes a try tomorrow and spoil the dad’s in your life! Happy early Father’s Day Dad’s, we hope you have an incredible day.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- ROASTED STRAWBERRIES:
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar (or use coconut sugar)
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour (I love Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour)
- You'll want to start off by roasted the strawberries first as they will need about 25 minutes of roasting time. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss your berries with the olive oil, honey and salt and mix very gently. Place them on the parchment paper and bake for approx 25 min. Check in on them at the 15 min mark. You want them to reduce by about half.
- While your strawberries are roasting you can start prepping the pancakes. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a pot and pour into a large bowl. Add your sugar to the bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Next add your mashed banana and hemp hearts. Mix thoroughly.
- Then add your eggs and incorporate into the mixture.
- Whisk in the vanilla, then add your buttermilk. Then whisk in the salt and baking soda until fully combined.
- The mixture is going to be thick (not like regular pancake mix, so do not be alarmed). If you find that it is too stiff, add a tablespoon or two of buttermilk to thin it out.
- Next heat a frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add a tablespoon or two of butter, enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Add a small amount of pancake mix and let it fry up in the butter until golden and bubbly on top. Only when you see bubbles forming on top do you want to flip the pancake. Because the batter is so thick you may need to finish the cooking process in the oven.
- To finish cooking the pancakes, I place them on a parchment covered baking sheet and stick them in the oven with the roasting strawberries. They will only need to be in there for 5 min or so, so make sure to check often.
- Serve with your favourite toppings and enjoy!
*Pancake recipe slightly adapted from Smitten Kitchen, Tall, Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes