With Easter right around the corner, I wanted to share a classic carrot cake recipe with mascarpone cheese frosting that my mom passed down to me. What sets this apart from other carrot cake recipes that I have tried in the past, is the lusciously creamy and highly addicting mascarpone cheese frosting. My kids (obviously), could not get enough of it and pretty sure my husband and I indulged a bit as well.
Easter is the most important religious celebration in our Catholic faith, and with it comes tons of delicious meals and treats. In addition to the Polish Babka that my mom bakes, I always remember eating this carrot cake growing up. And so, when my mom offered to share this recipe with me, of course I could not resist.
Made from simple ingredients that you will most likely find in your pantry, this takes about 25 min to put together and then it bakes for another 50min. This might be the last carrot cake recipe you will ever need and it truly is fool proof (seriously!). If you don’t call yourself much of a baker, give this one a try and I feel pretty darn good about it turning out. My 4 year old helped me bake it this past weekend and he isn’t exactly the most precise measurer (is that even a word?), and it still turned out perfectly.
I hope that you give this carrot cake with mascarpone cheese frosting a try for your Easter meal this year. From my family to yours, wishing you the very best.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1¼ cup oil (EVOO, Sunflower etc)
- 2 cups thinly grated carrots (about 4-5 medium carrots)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional, but highly recommended)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups mascarpone cheese
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2-4 tablespoons icing sugar (add more if you like your icing sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F. Grease a rectangle pan with butter.
- Combine eggs and sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix on medium speed with mixer. Stop once eggs and sugar are nicely combined (2-3 minutes).
- Alternating between the flour and oil - add approx ½ cup of flour, followed by ½ cup of oil and so on, until you've used up both the flour and oil.
- Add in the finely grated carrot, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt and mix on low to medium, until well combined.
- Lastly add the walnuts and mix on low just until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes.
- While cake is baking, wipe your bowl clean and make the frosting.
- To make the frosting, place the mascarpone cheese and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and mix for a few minutes. Add the vanilla extract.
- Slowly, add the whipping cream and continue to mix. Add it ¼ cup at a time until you achieve the consistency of frosting. You may not need the full 2 cups.
*Top the cake with walnuts, strawberries, raspberries and mint for additional flavour and pop of colour.