This vegetarian cheese tortellini, spinach, and tomato soup is simple to make and only uses a few basic ingredients. I love that I can whip this soup up within 30 minutes for a quick and tasty lunch. It’s great as a meal on its own or served as a started before dinner.
To keep it vegetarian, the recipe calls for cheese tortellini but of course you can also use a meat tortellini instead if you prefer. I personally use the meat tortellini if I’m making this for my family because my daughter has a dairy allergy. She loves tortellini noodles and they help distract her from the other sneaky healthy ingredients like the spinach and tomato. So she just eats it up.
The first time I had this soup was at my old roommate parent’s place, and being that they are Italian, I was spoiled with so much great food for dinner. I enjoyed eating their homemade lasagna, pizza, and this soup, it was all so delicious. The recipe here is an adaptation of their soup, since I didn’t have their recipe, but I think I did a great job recreating it. So if you too love tortellini and need a quick lunch to make, try out this soup. I know the kids will love it too!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ sweet onion finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2¼ cup canned diced tomatoes (I try to use up all the liquid and use less of the chunky tomatoes to make up the 2¼ cup)
- 6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 350 grams fresh cheese tortellini
- 142 grams baby spinach, stems removed
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese to garnish
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and sautee until soft about 3-4 minutes
- Add the garlic and continue sautee for another 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant, but not burning
- Add the tomatoes, vegetable stock, oregano, and sugar and bring to a boil
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add the tortellini and spinach and cook until noodles are soft about 4-5 minutes, and spinach is wilted.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!