These “cheesy” cornflake crusted chicken tenders are AH-MAZING and both my kids go crazy over them! And so it is fitting, that I share my recipe for these tenders for our Sneaky Sunday recipe!
Instead of using actual dairy cheese I use nutritional yeast, which is basically an inactive yeast which is yellow in colour and contains a nutty cheese flavour. I love it so much because it is packed with nutrition, particularly B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein. It’s low in fat, gluten-free, and contains no added sugars or preservatives. Incredible right!? If you’ve never used nutritional yeast before, the brand that I love the most is Bob’s Red Mill, which you can purchase online, bulk barn and most health food stores.
To make the outside of the chicken so incredibly crispy and golden I bread it in blitzed cornflakes mixed in with the nutritional yeast and spices, including oregano, salt, pepper and a bit of paprika. Instead of frying them I bake them in the oven and sometimes for a special treat I serve them with home made french fries or sweet potato fries and a big pile of veggies, hoping that someone will actually eat some.
Most kids love chicken tenders, I mean why wouldn’t you right…you get to dip them in fun sauces, eat them with your hands and they are tasty! These cheesy cornflake crusted chicken tenders are completely guilt free, as they are actually GOOD for your kids so ahead and make them for dinner tonight.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 4 cups cornflake cereal (or you can buy the stuff that's already been blitzed for you)
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 eggs
- splash of milk
- 1 cup of all purpose flour (for dredging the chicken)
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into thin strips or 10-12 chicken tenders
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum oil and grease it with a bit of butter to ensure that the chicken tenders do not stick to the sheet.
- Place the cornflake cereal in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Don't go too crazy, you want it to be finely ground but not turning into a paste. Add the nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika and pulse a few more times to combine.
- Set up 3 large shallow dishes in an assembly line. Place the flour in the first dish, beat the eggs with a dash of milk in the second dish; and place the cornflake/nutritional yeast mixture in the third dish.
- I like to season my chicken tenders with just a dash of salt and pepper on both sides, as I find this helps build up the flavour, but you can skip this step. Working with one tender at a time, first dredge it in the flour, shaking off any excess; then dip in the egg and ensure that it is evenly coated and then dredge it in the cornflake/nutritional yeast mixture, ensuring that the whole tender is evenly coated. Place the breaded tender on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining tenders.
- Once all of the tenders have been dredged, place the baking sheet in your preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip them and bake for a subsequent 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauces like honey mustard, BBQ or plain old ketchup!