A classic pad thai recipe, featuring a traditional sweet, sour, and spicy flavour.
Being self taught in the kitchen, I’m always looking for new methods or tips from other recipes, through trial and error. Whenever I can, I enjoy attending local cooking classes and learning from experienced chefs. Recently I attended a class at Relish Cooking Studio, which focused on Asian noodles including Pad Thai. I never attempted Pad Thai before, but ever since, I’ve been trying the recipe at home and it has become a family favourite.
For this recipe, if you’re having trouble finding any of the ingredients, try finding a local Asian market where I’m sure you will find what you’re looking for.
Please note it’s important to learn the proper way to cook rice noodles for this dish. Typically they are not meant to be boiled, but following the directions below should help give the noodles a proper texture.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- ½ package (14oz/400g) wide rice noodle stick noodles
- ⅔ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp siracha sauce
- 4 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp minced ginger root
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- In a large bowl, soak noodles in warm water for 20 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together stock, tomato paste, fish sauce, sugar, cornstarch, lime rind and juice and hot pepper sauce; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 tsp (10ml) of the oil over medium heat; cook eggs, stirring often, for 2 minutes or until scrambled and set. Transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out wok; add remaining oil. Brown chicken, in batches, over medium-high heat. Transfer to separate plate. Add carrots, red pepper, garlic and ginger to pan; cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Add noodles; stir gently for 1 minute.
- Return chicken to pan. Stir sauce and pour into pan; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until thickened, noodles are tender and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Return egg mixture to wok along with bean sprouts; toss gently for 1 minute or until heated through. Serve sprinkled with green onions and peanuts.