These chicken tacos are absolutely delicious and my entire family adores them. This makes me happy because they are loaded with vegetables – I am talking two different kinds of peppers, zucchini and tomatoes and they taste just like regular tacos! So much goodness, so much fun to eat and a total mom win.
I substitute ground beef with ground chicken and then pack in the veggies. In the past I have sneaked in broccoli (chopped really finely) and mushrooms as well, but tend to just stick with peppers (whatever colour you have will work), zucchini and tomatoes. What’s great is that you can really make these your own and add whatever veggies you have on hand. The sauce does a good job of masking the taste of any veggies that are inside.
In terms of additional toppings, I usually put out some salsa, grated cheddar, sour cream, avocado (or guacamole), tomatoes (or picco de gallo) and everyone can serve themselves. For my 1-year-old I serve the meat sauce over some quinoa and she is good to go.
These are fun, and messy and allow everyone to be a little goofy at the dinner table – perfect end to a long day! Try them today, I know they will become a family favourite.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 bell peppers, finely diced (any 2 different colours will work)
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, fined diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 can tomato sauce (1 cup)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1 cup shredded lettuce (toppings, optional)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (toppings, optional)
- 1 avocado, cut into wedges or squares (toppings, optional)
- Guacamole (toppings, optional)
- 1 tomato, finely diced (toppings, optional)
- Sour cream (toppings, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (or whatever your taco packaging says to warm the hard shells at)
- Heat the olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, zucchini and any other vegetables you are using and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and just starting to brown, 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the ground chicken, paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt. Turn the heat to high; use a wooden spoon to stir and break the chicken into small clumps until the chicken is partially cooked, about 5-8 minutes.
- Next, stir in the tomato sauce, then turn the heat down to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking chicken into smaller clumps, for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, remove the taco shells from the package and lay sideways on baking sheet. Pull the stack apart, overlapping the edges slightly. Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until crisp (or follow directions on package as they may differ).
- Spoon the chicken into the shells and serve with toppings.
*Recipe slightly adapted from Once Upon a Chef, Chicken Tacos.