Last Week I got back from a wonderful, sunny vacation in the Turks and Caicos, and I thought it would be a perfect time to share an island inspired dish. I decided on sharing these coconut shrimp with spicy mango sauce. First I’d like to tell you a bit about my trip and why this island favourite will be sure to please.Instead of staying at an all-inclusive resort, our family instead rented a beach house which offered up a little more privacy and gave us a bit more freedom to do our own thing on the island. We had a full kitchen there as well, which we used for making a family breakfast and lunch, then we’d go out for dinner at night. We’d go to restaurants where we could experience true Caribbean cuisine, and dine with the locals at their favourite spots.
Although the food there is fairly Americanized, we were in the Caribbean, so of course there was lots of fresh fish and jerk items everywhere. Conch was also very popular, which I had a few times, and often comes prepared almost like a crab cake. But for me I’m a shrimp lover, and I will confess that I had shrimp many different ways, on many different days! Fried, grilled, or sautéed I needed to have it!
So one night after eating a delicious order of coconut shrimp, I knew I just had to make this at home and share it on the blog. As soon as I came home, I went through a few recipes online, found a simple one that I slightly changed and it was a great success! I also decided to pair this with a homemade spicy mango sauce, which was inspired by the common use of mango in many different meals in the Caribbean, and I wanted to add a little bit of spice to this dish.
So I hope you enjoy this recipe that reminds me of the island tastes, and tide you over until the warmer weather comes, if you’re living in a cold place like me!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1¼ cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 pound medium-large shrimp, cleaned, deveined and butterflied (optional)
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup packed fresh mango diced
- 2 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. red onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sriracha
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- 4 tbsp. of coconut milk (or more for desired consistency)
- In a small food processor or blender, blend the mango, cilantro, red onion, soy sauce, sriracha, red chili flakes, and coconut milk until smooth. Add additional coconut milk if desired. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Set up a dredging station for the shrimp by placing the flour in a wide, shallow plate or bowl; beat the eggs in a small bowl and combine panko, coconut, salt and pepper in a separate, wide, shallow plate or bowl. Coat shrimp with flour, dunk into egg mixture and then into coconut crumbs. Set on a large platter and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Add about 2 inches of oil to large, deep pan or skillet and heat to 350 degrees F. Fry shrimp in batches until light golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towel lined plates. Serve with spicy mango sauce.