Creamy Italian Sausage and tomato risotto is a warming, soul satisfying comfort bowl of absolute deliciousness. It checks off all the boxes of a really tasty, flavour packed dinner that is perfect for weeknights and fancy enough for a dinner party. With its creamy texture you’d never guess that we’ve hidden a TON of spinach in there, along with tomatoes (obviously!), onion and Italian Sausage. My 1.5 year old gobbled this up in an instant and even though my 4 year old took some convincing, after a few bites he even admitted that it was “so good momma!”.
Before we had kids the thought of making risotto seemed intimidating and scary. But I promise, that if you follow the instructions we list below, it won’t seem so bad after all. I adapted this recipe slightly from Smitten Kitchen’s, Tomato and Sausage Risotto to make it more in line with how our family enjoys it. You really cannot go wrong with a good quality Italian sausage that has been fried until golden and delicious, alongside spinach and tomatoes. Such a killer combination and we hope that you agree!
Serve this creamy tomato and Italian sausage risotto alongside our Baby Greens, Candied Pecans and Apple Salad with Maple Balsamic Dressing for a complete meal the whole family can enjoy. Bon Appetite!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch flat-leaf spinach, chopped
- ½ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, combine tomatoes (with their juice) and 3 cups beef broth. Bring just to a simmer; keep warm over low heat. The beef broth brings a really lovely flavour to the risotto, but if you do not have it on hand use 3 cups of water instead.
- In a deep frying pan or sauce pan, heat oil. Add sausage and onion. Break up the sausage into small pieces and cook for 10-12 minutes until crispy and golden. We do not like large chunks of sausage and the kids always pick it out when it is too big, so the smaller and more easily hidden it is, the better we like it.
- Season the onion and sausage with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir until well combined.
- Add 1 cup rice and cook until well coated in the seasoning for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup white wine (if you do not use wine while cooking substitute with beef broth). Cook and stir until absorbed for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add 2 cups of your hot tomato and beef broth mixture to the rice over medium/low heat. At this point you will want to continue to gently stir the mixture to ensure that it does not burn and stick to the pan. You want the rice to absorb the liquid as much as possible.
- Continue adding in cup after cup of the tomato and broth mixture to the rice and stirring until the rice is creamy and tender. You may or may not use up all of the liquid. I tend to use it all up.
- Add your spinach once the rice is almost done along with parmigiano-reggiano cheese, the butter and season with more salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately and add more cheese if you'd like!