These easy cheesy sweet potatoes are ah-maz-ing! My almost 2 year old and I polished off a huge portion of these cheesy sweet potatoes for lunch the other day and when she saw that we had leftovers, she was asking for more. And so, I am sharing these amazing cheesy sweet potatoes with your today for our Sneaky Sunday recipe.
For those of you unfamiliar with Sneaky Sundays – it is when we share a recipe that is specifically targeted at your picky eater where we sneak in healthy ingredients. We make the Sneaky Sunday recipe super simple, kid friendly and nutritious. We test all of the recipes from Sneaky Mommies on our kids and their friends, and we only post recipes that get a big thumbs up, so you know that they are delicious and kid approved as well.
And so today, the recipe for these cheesy sweet potatoes will definitely make everyone happy. Instead of using actual dairy cheese, I use nutritional yeast, which is basically an inactive yeast which is yellow in colour and contains a nutty cheese flavour. I love it so much because it is packed with nutrition, particularly B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein. It’s low in fat, gluten-free, and contains no added sugars or preservatives. Incredible right!? If you’ve never used nutritional yeast before, the brand that I love the most is Bob’s Red Mill, which you can purchase online, Bulk Barn and most health food stores.
We serve these cheesy sweet potatoes with eggs (my little one and I had them with scrambled eggs the other day), and some cut up vegetables or a salad. I had them with a simple mixed green salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, orange pepper and an olive oil and lemon vinaigrette. Super simple and super delicious. You can serve them as a side dish for dinner with some grilled or roasted meat like our Piri Piri Chicken or our Spring Salad with Arugula & Zucchini with a Lemon Dressing or even as a snack. You’ll definitely find Emma and I snacking on these throughout the day and they taste just as delicious the next day.
A really easy and delicious recipe that has received a big thumbs up from our picky eaters and will hopefully get that same approval from yours. Enjoy!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 medium sized organic sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ to ⅓ cup nutritional yeast, depends how "cheesy" you want them
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat an oven proof pan or skillet (I use my Lodge Cast Iron Pan) and once throughly heated add ghee and garlic and sautee until the garlic just starts to brown a little bit.
- Immediately add your cubed sweet potatoes, but be careful as the pan will be hot and the ghee might splash a little bit. Sautee the potatoes for 2-3 minutes and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Next add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano and mix thoroughly until all of the spices coat the sweet potatoes.
- Then add the nutritional yeast to the sweet potatoes and mix some more with a wooden spoon. They will look like they have developed a bit of a glaze at this point.
- After 2-3 minutes pop them into your preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. I like the bottoms of mine nice and crispy so I do not flip them in the middle of the baking time, but feel free to do so.
- The sweet potatoes are done when they are soft and perfectly crispy. Take out of the oven and serve immediately with eggs, meats or fish.