When the weather starts to warm up, as it did this past weekend for us in Toronto, we instantly think of BBQ season and everything that accompanies it. This past weekend we hosted some very close friends of ours for dinner and we served this super easy Greek pasta salad, alongside a slew of other things. It was such a hit, and so quick to put together that I wanted to share it with you as well!
I first tried this recipe from my dear friend Edyta, who got the recipe from her mom who has been making it forever. The original recipe calls for quinoa instead of pasta, but I’ve been serving a bit too much quinoa lately, so needed to change things up a bit. I got real crazy and served it with our favourite GoGo Fusilli Quinoa pasta instead. You may have read in other recipes of mine that I am a huge advocate of the GoGo Quinoa pasta brand (and no, I am not paid to say this!), as it is a gluten free pasta that is made with organic white rice and quinoa flour. My family can’t taste the difference, so may as well eat a healthier alternative, am I right!?
This easy Greek pasta salad is made with simple, basic ingredients including peppers, mini tomatoes, cucumber, feta, parsley and red onion. The vinaigrette is made with olive oil, red wine vinegar, lots of oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and fresh squeezed lemon juice. You can also add olives to the salad, but my kids are not a fan, so I normally don’t bother. The vinaigrette is subtle, with just enough kick that it doesn’t scare the kids off and they can pick at whatever veggies or carbs that they want.
Serve this at your next BBQ or picnic and it even makes for a delicious lunch! You’ll want to ensure that your let the flavours meddle together for a few hours before serving to taste the full deliciousness of the salad. It tastes wonderful for leftovers and the flavours are even more robust as they have had more time to marinade together. I hope you enjoy this easy Greek pasta salad as much as we do!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- For The Pasta:
- 2 to 3 cups cooked pasta (of your choice: penne, fusilli work well)
- ½ small red onion, finely diced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ large cucumber, or 4 mini cucumber, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 orange pepper, diced
- 1 cup feta cheese, diced
- ¼ cup flat parsley, finely diced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- For the Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons oregano (dried)
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- To Make the Pasta Salad:
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water. Cook as per package instructions until al dente. Strain the pasta and allow to cool.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the onion, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, feta and parsley to a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add the pasta to the same bowl once cooled.
- To Make the Vinaigrette:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients. Season with a bit more salt and pepper.
- Then pour the dressing over the pasta, toss gently to combine.
- Cover the salad with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve toss the pasta gently again and serve!