Oh tacos….we love you and hence why we are sharing another chicken taco recipe! I love the simplicity of taco dinners and my kids love them too, so its a win-win for the whole family. These chicken tacos are made with chicken breasts and marinated for about an hour to really soak in those flavors. While your chicken is marinating you have the time to quickly put together my new favourite salsa – a pineapple, cucumber, red onion, cilantro explosion of amazingness.
If there is no way that your kids would eat these chicken tacos with the pineapple salsa (my eldest would not touch it even though he LOVES pineapple), serve with a variety of different toppings instead. In our house we always have salsa on hand, sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt), avocado slices, cheese that would work well with these.
These are super easy to make, require just 30 minute of marinating time and are a wonderful week night meal. For my 1 year old, I served the chicken on top of cooked quinoa and just give her some of the salsa on the side. She seems to enjoy it, so I would call this a successful dinner.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- FOR THE PINEAPPLE SALSA
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup finely chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (seeded)
- juice of 1 lime
- dash of salt and pepper
- FOR THE CHICKEN MARINADE
- ⅓ cup EVOO
- juice of 2 limes
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced very finely
- FOR THE TACOS
- Small tortilla wraps
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Pineapple Salsa: finely chop everything and toss into a large bowl.
- Marinade: Whisk together all marinade ingredients, place in a large bowl or resealable bag, add chicken and chill for 30 minutes (more if you have the time, up to 3 hours).
- Chicken: Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and discard any sauce that is remaining. Heat a large rigged frying pan over high heat. Add the chicken pieces on the pan and cook until cooked through (about 6-7 minutes).
- Tacos: assemble your tacos any way you would like! If you really want to get crazy you can also create a spicy "mayo-hot sauce" to top the tacos with. I've never measured out the ingredients as it all depends on how spicy you like it, but basically you take ¼ cup of mayo (approx) and then drizzle in as much hot sauce as you can handle (usually two parts mayo and one part hot sauce). Drizzle that on top of the salsa, and wow!
*Chicken marinade recipe adapted from The Best Grilled Chicken Tacos Marinade, from Le Creme De la Crumb