Sometimes you just hit the jackpot with a recipe. It becomes a family favourite that everyone (ok, almost everyone loves), and it is hearty, tasty, packed full of goodness and good for you. This is one of those recipes. Our kid friendly chickpea shakshuka is a comforting and rich meal that can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner. My husband and little one absolutely adore this dish, unfortunately my eldest doesn’t love it, but always ends up dipping his bread or whatever we serve with it into the sauce (so it is kind of a win for him as well).
I have been trying to incorporate as many plant based meals into our diets and weekly menus as I can, and this one is a winner. What is wonderful about this dish is that you can increase the heat, or smokiness or tomato-y flavour as much as you would like to ensure that it serves your tastes. I tend to keep the seasonings to a minimum, as I need to ensure that isn’t overbearing for my kids, but there is lots of flexibility here.
Traditional shakshuka is basically a stew made from tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, chillies, paprika, salt and eggs, which are poached in the stew itself. What’s great about it is that you can alter the spices and ingredients as much as you would like to fit your tastes – which is exactly what we have done here. My kids don’t like poached eggs, so those could not be a part of the recipe. Both enjoy chickpeas and tomato sauce, so those were added in along with subtle spices and sneaky veggies (we have to stay true to our name of course).
I usually serve this with some crusty bread that allows for tasty dipping, or you can serve it over rice or pasta or nothing at all! So many options for this delicious feast.
Before I tried this recipe on my family I did not think that this would be something that they would enjoy, but they really like it. Give it a try, yours might surprise you as well. Happy Sneaky Sunday everyone!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- ½ red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can/bottle of tomato puree (approx. 24 oz)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of chili flakes
- 1 can organic cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- For garnish:
- crumbled feta (optional)
- drizzle of olive oil
- dollop of plain Greek yogurt
- Heat a large metal or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, garlic and peppers and saute for 5-6 minutes. Stir frequently to ensure that nothing burns, and becomes soft and fragrant.
- Add the passata, tomato paste, paprika, cumin, chili powder, turmeric and chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add the chickpeas and lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to medium/low, cover and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the flavours as per your liking.
- Garnish with feta, cilantro or parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and a dollop of Greek yogurt. Serve with crusty bread, pasta or rice.