Kid Friendly Veggie Packed Chicken Quesadillas, are what weeknight dinners were made for! I have been seriously struggling to ensure that my 1.5 year old (ah how did that happen!?!) is eating enough veggies lately. In between her teething (it’s been non-stop for months now), and her not sleeping properly (we are running on fumes over here), coming up with creative and nutritious dinner solutions has been a struggle to say the least.
Last week, I attempted these veggie packed chicken quesadillas and were they ever a hit! My kids both really, really enjoyed them and Matt was thrilled to eat “junk” food for dinner, as he called it. What no one caught on to was that these guys are loaded with a huge assortment of vegetables. In this variation I included corn, red onion, zucchini, loads of spinach and tomatoes. I think what my kids loved the most was that they could pick and choose their toppings. Emma is obsessed with cheese, so hers received an extra helping of that, whereas Evan loves salsa, and so he was dipping it like crazy. Matt and I prefer to enjoy them with our homemade pico de gallo and sour cream (plain Greek yogurt for me) instead.
It’s such a relief to see my whole family enjoy a new recipe and what’s even better is that it is so forgiving and customizable. You can substitute veggies that you may not have on hand with ones that your family may prefer instead. It’s really the seasoning that pulls all of this together. Not to spicy, but with just enough subtle flavour that everyone can enjoy it.
I hope that you give these veggies packed chicken quesadillas a try soon, because well they’re so darn tasty and kid-approved, which obviously makes it a huge dinner win! Enjoy and let us know what you think. Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil (enough to create a thin layer on your frying pan)
- ½ large red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh (cooked) corn
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 3-4 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 10-inch flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream (optional, for serving)
- Salsa (optional, for serving)
- Lime wedges (optional, for serving)
- In a large frying pan, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the red onion and saute until soft and starting to brown just a bit. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Next add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and stir in the zucchini and cook until it starts to brown a bit. Then add the corn just to defrost/warm it a bit, followed by the tomatoes and pre-cooked chicken.
- Next, stir in all your spices and stir gently until everything is nicely coated and the tomatoes release their juices.
- Cook until most of he liquid from the tomatoes has evaporated and the mixture has thickened. At the very end, add the spinach just so that it wilts (this should not take long as it has been chopped finely) and cilantro.
- Reduce the heat to low, as this is what will be going inside your tortilla.
- To fill the tortilla's, first heat a clean saute pan over medium heat.
- Lay a tortilla in the pan until it starts to brown just a little bit (air pockets will form). Flip it over, and sprinkle your desired amount of cheese over the whole surface of the tortilla. Sprinkle a generous helping of the filling over ½ of the tortilla.
- When the cheese has melted, fold the tortilla over to cover the filling. Cook until the tortilla is crisp.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and serve with sour cream, salsa and lime!