It’s three weeks into school and I am already struggling with healthy new ideas to feed my JK baby. While he is at school, Emma and I have been testing (and re-testing), new recipes that would make for healthy snacks and we came up with these babies – Morning Glory Muffins. Chock-full of nutritious goodies, like apple, coconut, raisins, wheat germ, hemp hearts and carrots, these muffins make a great start to the day or a delicious snack.
Every week I make sure that I bake something healthy and tasty for snacks like our healthy banana bread or banana muffins, but I needed to try something different. Instead of making them into full sized muffins, we baked them in the mini tins and they turned out absolutely perfect. Moist on the inside, tons of nutritious ingredients, with a perfectly baked muffin top sprinkled with just a few chocolate chips to entice the kiddies to dig in. When I first introduced these to the kids they were pretty skeptical….but all it took was one bite and they were sold.
These guys are seriously good and I highly recommend them. Did I mention that they are healthy? They have fruit and veggies in them? And they actually TASTE GOOD? It’s true. Make em’ and the whole family will love em.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- ⅔ cup raisins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour, can substitute for all purpose flour as well
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots (4-5 large carrots)
- 1 large tart apple peeled, cored and grated
- ½ cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ⅓ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin or mini tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Then stir in the carrots, apple, coconut, wheat germ and hemp seeds. Gently mix it all together until well incorporated.
- Next add your eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and orange juice. Mix everything together until well incorporated.
- Gently stir in your raisins.
- Divide the batter among your prepared ban. If baking large muffins bake for 25-28 minutes, if you are baking the mini muffins bake for 15 minutes to start and then check on them. They may need a few minutes more depending on the oven.
- Once fully baked, let them cool in the pan until you are ready to dig in.
- To store them I cover them with a clean tea cloth and keep them at room temperature. They do well for a few days.
*Recipe just slightly adapted from Once Upon a Chef, Morning Glory Muffins