Although summer isn’t over, it sure feels like Autumn is already among us with cooler temperatures at home in Ontario. With colder weather I start to crave warming meals and soups, like these Moroccan lentils with swiss chard. What I love about this meal is it’s quick to make, has loads of healthy ingredients, and it tastes great! Serve it with your favourite rice and dinner is done!
For as long as I can, I’ll be enjoying fresh local veggies and fruit, until the cold frosty weather joins us. A co-worker of mine who has had great success with her garden this year brought me a huge goodie bag yesterday with kale, swiss chard, carrots, and tomatoes. Of course I immediately started thinking about how to use all these fresh veggies and that’s when I decided to make these Moroccan lentils with swiss chard. It allowed me to use up the carrots and chard, and tonight I’ll be creating more in the kitchen with the kale and tomato. This dish boasts with flavour and is filled with so much nutritional ingredients. I hope you get a chance to try it!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
- 1 540ml can of lentils (any colour), washed and drained
- salt to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat in a deep pan. Add the onion and carrot and sautee until onion softens, about 5-10 minutes. Stirring often.
- Add the garlic and continue to stir often for about 1 minute more.
- Add the curry powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and the coriander and stir until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and tomato paste, mix to combine and bring to a boil.
- Add the sweet potato and simmer on med-low until softened, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the swiss chard and continue cooking until wilted about 2 minutes.
- Than add the lentils and continue to cook another 2 minutes. Serve over rice.