This penne pasta is absolutely, superbly delicious! Honestly, the smells that will be coming from your kitchen will make your mouth water. The combination of sundried tomatoes, pan roasted mushrooms, maple smoked bacon and ham, all tossed in a creamy sage sauce will make your taste buds dance in delight.
Toronto has been having a frigid, cold winter we have been craving hearty, stick to your ribs, delicious meals. When we want to indulge and get our carb fill, we turn to this incredible penne pasta. Our kids love this as well, making it truly a win-win family friendly meal.
Most importantly, there is minimal prep and it is so easy to make substitutions or omit ingredients all together if your family doesn’t like them (or if you do not have them on hand). Can’t find good quality smoked ham or bacon? Substitute it with pancetta. Don’t like mushrooms or sundried tomatoes? Omit them completely. The creaminess and richness of the dish comes from the bacon/ham and the creamy sage sauce, so play around with it and make it into something your whole family can enjoy.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- • 5-6 strips good quality maple smoked bacon
- • ½ cup finely diced maple smoked ham
- • 1 shallot, thinly diced
- • 2-3 garlic, minced
- • 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- • 3 tablespoons butter
- • salt & pepper
- • ¼ up to ⅓ cup sundried tomatoes
- • 6-7 sage leaves, thinly sliced
- • 1 cup white wine
- • ½ cup beef stock stock
- • 1 cup heavy cream
- • 1 pound penne noodles
- • 1 cup thinly grated parmigiano reggiano
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until almost tender but still firm to the bite. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Thinly dice the maple smoked ham and bacon and place into a heavy deep fry pan. Saute on medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic halfway through, once both the ham and bacon have started to brown a bit. Continue to cook until everything is crispy and just a bit chewy still. Scoop out the majority of the bacon/ham grease, but leave just a little bit for the sauce.
- In the meantime, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a separate deep fry pan. Saute mushrooms and cook down until all liquid has been released and they have browned. Season with plenty of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add 1 cup of white wine to your bacon/ham/shallots mixture to release all of the burnt pieces. Once reduced by half, add ½ cup of beef stock. Cook for a few minutes until it comes to a boil. Add 1 cup heavy cream and sage leaves, reduce heat to low until it starts to thicken into a sauce. Add 1 cup parmigiano reggiano to thicken sauce even more.
- Add penne pasta, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes to the sauce. Gently mix everything together and top with more sage leaves and parmigiano reggiano if desired.