Hello from Portugal! I’ve been enjoying this past week in the Azores of Portugal with my family. What better time would there be then to share this post now for Portuguese Caldo Verde Soup (collard green soup), one of the countries most popular soups.
It’s really special to be able to explore the heritage of where your family roots are, experiencing a culture different from home and meet members from your extended family tree. My father is from the islands (azores) and my mother from the mainland, two very different places. Although I have visited the mainland before, this is my first time going to the islands and seeing where my dad grew up. It’s a beautiful lush place, almost like the Hawaii of Europe!
Through my visit I’ve been inspired to try some new recipes at home and hopefully be able to share something on the blog soon. So today I decided on one of Portugal’s most traditional soups and one that’s always been a family favourite of ours, Caldo Verde Soup (Collard Green Soup). It has a thicker broth made from pureed potato, onions, and garlic. Smoked and cured chorizo sausage is also boiled in the stock, giving so much extra flavour, then finished with collard greens. This soup is filling and hearty enough to eat as a meal, and goes great with some crusty bread. I hope you get the chance to make this Calde Verde Soup, a tasty reminder of where I came from.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 8 cups chicken stock (keep another cup on hand if you prefer it less thick)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onions, chopped
- 3 medium white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 8 oz chorizo (spicy cured sausage)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 heaping cups collard greens, finely shredded (kale will work fine too)
- In a large soup pot heat the oil on medium heat. Add the onion and sautee for about 3 minutes. Then add the garlic and continue to saute another minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Then add the potatoes, and the full chorizo sausages. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 40 minutes, or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove chorizo, slice thinly and reserve. Transfer potato, onion mixture to a food processor or blender and puree in batches until smooth. Transfer soup back to the pot and add the shredded collard greens. Cook collard greens are wilted, about 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a few chorizo slices and a drop of olive oil.