Asparagus is one of my favourite vegetables that are ready for harvest in early spring. I always look forward to being able to find it fresh at my local farmer’s market, which I use in many recipes. This recipe for shrimp and asparagus in a garlic sauce is perfect as a side dish or as a main entrée served with your favourite pasta.
If you’re a fan of shrimp and asparagus, this recipe will be a new favourite. It’s cooked with garlic and lemon which compliment each other very well. My daughter loves shrimp and asparagus, so this is a win at home. Last night when she ate this she told me I was the best cook in the world, which put a smile on my face. I was happy to know that she was enjoying dinner and that her belly would be full. I hope you get the chance to enjoy this recipe while asparagus is still in season. Enjoy!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled, deveined, rinsed, and patted dry
- Zest from one lemon
- 6 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¾ lb. asparagus, bottoms snapped off, and cut into 2 inch lengths (approx. 2 cups)
- ⅔ cup low salt chicken broth
- ½ tsp. cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds for garnish
- In a bowl or plate sprinkle the shrimp with salt and a few generous grinds of pepper.
- Put a 12 inch skillet over medium high heat for ½ minutes. Add 2 Tbs. of the oil and once it's shimmering hot, add the shrimp in a single layer. Cook undisturbed until the shrimp browns nicely, about 2 minutes. Flip the shrimp and brown the second side, about ½ minutes. Transfer to a large plate. The shrimp should be a little undercooked.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the remaining 4 Tbs. oil and the garlic and cook, tossing, until the garlic starts to sizzle steadily, about 30 seconds. Add the asparagus, lemon zest, sprinkle with ½ tsp, cook until the garlic is golden brown and the asparagus looks blistery in places, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken broth, cover, with the lid ajar, and cook until the asparagus is just tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a small dish, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 Tbs. water, stir into the asparagus mixture, and bring to a boil. Stir in the shrimp, reduce the heat to low, and cook, tossing, until the shrimp is opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds for garnish. Serve as a side dish with dinner or over your favourite pasta.