We are not quite ready to say goodbye to summer yet, and with Ontario corn being so sweet this year, we couldn’t resist making this simple corn salad. This simple corn salad is tossed together in no time with just a few simple ingredients. My family and I just returned from vacation this past week, and we hosted a few friends over for a BBQ and I needed something quick, easy and delicious to go along with our grilled meats and this was a wonderful accompaniment.
This simple corn salad is made up of 5 ears of corn, red onion, green onion and basil and is tossed in some good quality olive oil, white wine vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper – that is IT! So simple, so yummy and it pairs so well with any BBQ dish. My kids love corn and they even tried a little of the salad. Of course nothing beats corn on the cob with lots of butter and salt, but they were troopers for trying it. It’s amazing what they will try when Matt and I make a “game” out of dinner, encouraging them to try it with a “big hulk bite” or whatever nonsense we come up with. The kids definitely feed off each other and we have been trying to use it to our advantage when it comes to meal time.
Anyways, this salad is fresh and tasty and fantastic and you should give it a try. May we recommend that you pair it with our Roasted Piri Piri Chicken or serve alongside our Coppa, Mushroom and Parmesan Stuffed Pork Tenderloin.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 5 ears of corn, shucked
- ⅓ cup small-diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup julienned fresh basil leaves
- sprinkle of red pepper flakes
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 5 minutes. Drain and immerse it in cold water to stop the cooking process.
- When the corn has cooled, cut the kernels off the cob, as closely to the cob as you can get it.
- Toss the kernels in a large bowl with the red onion, vinegar, lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Once everything has been thoroughly tossed, top with fresh basil leaves.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.