Sneaky spaghetti & meatballs is one of my family’s favourite recipes and the inspiration behind our Sneaky Mommies food blog. And such, fitting that this is also our first blog post!
My son Evan, goes through these crazy cycles of picky eating…he either eats everything and anything, or basically nothing at all. As a mom, this is so frustrating and so when I can get him to actually eat, you better believe that I am sneaking in as many nutritional ingredients as I can into his meals.
And so, I created these sneaky spaghetti & meatballs that hide an assortment of veggies in them, without compromising on taste. These beauts are packed with quinoa, carrots, zucchini and spinach (yup, its true!), and they really taste delicious. Both my kiddies love these and we feast on them at least once a month (if not more).
In terms of the sauce, most days I just buy the jarred stuff, like Neals Brothers Tomato Basil pasta sauce or Mia’s Kitchen Bistro Marinara Sauce. Both are made from wholesome ingredients and are brands I trust! Saving just a little bit of time in the kitchen, helps make this whole parenting thing just a little bit easier.
As for the noodles, we are big fans of GoGo Quinoa Spaghetti. It’s made from organic rice and quinoa flour, and tastes exactly the same as standard noodles, but just a bit better for you. My family can’t taste the difference, so why not right?
This recipe is easy enough for a weeknight meal and packs in the flavour! Give these sneaky spaghetti & meatballs a try this week, you won’t be disappointed.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- 1 large egg (or flax egg)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 1-1/2 pounds of lean ground beef and pork (mixed together)
- ¼ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 thinly grated carrot (about ¼ cup)
- 1 thinly grated zucchini (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup finely chopped spinach
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (parmesan works too)
- 1 jar good quality marinara sauce
- Spaghetti noodles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, basil, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic and water. Add meat, quinoa, carrots, zucchini, spinach and parmesan and mix until just combined (with large spoon, or your hands).
- Using your hands, take about 1-2 tablespoons of meat mixture and gently roll into balls. Wetting your hands in between helps with the stickiness.
- Place meatballs on ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove pan and turn them with tongs (or a spatula). Put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring marinara sauce to a summer in a large saute pan. Boil salted water for noodles. Add spaghetti and cook al dente as per instructions.
- Once meatballs are browned, transfer them to the pan with the marinara sauce and let them cook through for another 10 minutes.
- Once noodles are done, drain, then toss with sauce and meatballs.
- Garnish with more basil, black pepper and grated parm cheese.
*Recipe loosely adapted from Once Upon a Chef, Spaghetti & Meatballs.