In celebration of Canada’s 150th Birthday, we are sharing one of our absolute favourite strawberry cake recipes. Baking does not have to be time consuming or intimidating, and this recipe is just that. Super simple to put together, with a buttery-vanilla batter and tons of strawberries. With strawberries being in season right now (at least in Ontario), we have been using them as much as possible in every which way. This strawberry cake, is perfect for entertaining, yet simple enough to put together for dessert during the week as well.
My kids have started to ask to help in the kitchen, and you better believe that I am all for it. Any small (or big) task that I can get them involved in is a win, as it truly makes them appreciate the end product. Both my kids helped with the prep of this strawberry cake, and then they both happily gobbled it up as well. It truly is so simple to put together and is always a crowd pleaser.
I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I got it from Martha Stewart’s recipe entitled Strawberry Cake. The only difference is the quantity in strawberries. She calls for a pound of strawberries, whereas I use whatever amount it takes to completely cover the top of the cake. This ranges from 3/4 of a pound to less, depending on the size of the strawberries. You’ll also notice that I topped it with blueberries in a subsequent picture, so feel free to do the same. Other fruit will work here as well, so feel free to experiment!
We hope you give this wonderful recipe a try this Canada Day, or any other day as well!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Put butter and 1 cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low; mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Transfer batter to buttered pie plate. Arrange strawberries on top of batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over berries.
- Bake cake 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack. Cut into wedges.