Kale has been all the rage for what seems like forever now, and my family continues to love it. I sneak it into our meals whenever I can, but sometimes I crave just a fresh, crispy salad. This salad includes a superfood winning combination of ingredients including kale, brussels sprouts, broccoli, apples, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds and walnuts all mixed in with a wonderful poppy seed dressing.
The inspiration for this salad came from a salad kit I once bought at Costco called the “Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit”, which includes all of the ingredients I mentioned, aside from the walnuts, along with cabbage and chicory. I also make the dressing from scratch, as it is super easy to duplicate (and so much better for you!).
I encourage you to try this with your families! Kale is packed with iron, vitamin K, A & C (along with so many other health benefits) and brussels sprouts are a powerhouse that helps with inflammation, full of antioxidants and you can’t even taste them in this salad! Both my kids just pick out what they want from this salad, and my son has even taken a few bites (hooray!) and said that he liked the dressing. It’s amazing what kids will try if you just give them the opportunity.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- Salad Ingredients:
- 1 bunch of kale, middle removed and thinly chopped
- 8-10 brussels sprouts, thinly chopped
- 1 whole broccoli, finely chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup roasted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup walnuts (toasted, optional)
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1½ Tbsp white vinegar
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Pinch salt/pepper
- Salad: Prepare the greens by removing the stems and middle part of kale and chopping finely. Place into a large bowl. For the brussels sprouts cut off the bottoms and thinly slice. For the broccoli remove a few florets and chop and continue to chop until the full head of broccoli has been chopped up. Peel the apple (this is just my preference), and thinly dice it. Add the remaining ingredients to the large bowl and combine.
- Dressing: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Whisk vigorously until well combined.
- Pour dressing over the vegetables and lightly toss until everything is evenly coated.