Cinnamon spice and everything nice they say, well that’s exactly what this soup is. Our tomato and sage spiced soup with parmesan crisps is flavoured with cinnamon, smoked paprika, and sage to give it the taste of the holidays. Nat and I have been working on creating and sharing some of our favourite holiday inspired recipes to help you put tasty meals on your tables at home. At this time of the year, I like to start dinner with a warming soup, and I wanted to create something that was seasonally appropriate. I think this soup does just that!
My father and his mother have many traditional recipes that include cinnamon, it’s one of those go to spices for them. From dessert, to stuffing, and soups, the flavour is in many of our family favourites. My dad makes a non pureed tomato and potato soup with cinnamon that we love, and that’s what gave me the idea to try a creamy tomato soup also spiced with cinnamon. I was thinking it would be good for the season, and luckily I was right, it turned out great! Served with delicious parmesan crisps also seasoned with smoked paprika and sage to finish it perfectly. Even my daughter Aubrey loved it, and that’s always a joy! Hope you get the chance to try it!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- FOR THE SOUP:
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can/ 800 ml san marzano tomatoes
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1½ tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE PARMESAN CRISPS:
- 1 cup parmesan, shredded
- ¼ tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped finely
- In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and fresh chopped sage, and continue to sauté for about a minute more.
- Add the chicken stock, tomatoes, cinnamon, smoked paprika, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer together for 15 minutes. With a hand blender, puree soup until smooth.
- Mix in the whipping cream, season with salt and pepper and continue simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix all the ingredients of the parmesan crisps in a small bowl. Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with cooking spray. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the parmesan mixture on the baking sheet, about once inch apart from each other. Press down on each parmesan pile to flatten. Bake for 3-4 minutes, until bubbling hot. Set out to cool, use a spatula to remove from baking sheet. Enjoy with your soup!