Are these not the cutest things ever? Impress your valentine with these adorable baked v-day donuts which are a breeze to make.
These donuts are baked not fried, or better described as more of a cake type donut, making them a bit lighter then the traditional kind. To make these donuts you will need a proper donut pan, and I used one made by Wilton’s which you can find on amazon. The process is similar to making cupcakes or muffins, you simply make the batter and fill the pan up.
This recipe is for a simple vanilla flavour donut, however I plan on experimenting with more types and flavours to get great use from the donut pan. I’ll be sure to update you with new delicious donut recipes when I do.
Although I made these for Valentine’s, you can make these any time of the year and decorate them as you’d like. I just couldn’t turn down the opportunity to do some baking with pink, because it’s my favourite colour! These donuts will look perfect at any dessert table and for special occasions. I enjoyed making these and I hope you have fun with them too!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg
- 100 ml milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- To decorate:
- ⅔ cup Merckens Wafers (any colour)
- ½ tbsp vegetable shortening
- sprinkles or candies to decorate
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir just until mixed. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the donut cavities about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow donuts to cool in pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the Merckens wafers with the vegetable shortening. Microwave on low heat, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted.
- Transfer the melted chocolate to a small shallow dish to make it easier to dip the donuts. While hanging onto the edges of the donut, dip each donut into the chocolate and pause for a few seconds while the donut is upside down to allow the excess to fall off. Transfer to a wire rack. Add any candy or sprinkles to decorate. Keep on rack until fully dry.