For this recipe, I start off by creating a vegetable saute with onion, garlic and red pepper. These ingredients are used later for the filling, adding extra flavour to the Vegetarian Lasagna Roll Ups. Next, I make a sweet tomato sauce to top them, to complete this classic comfort food.
One thing that is great about this dish is that it can be prepared ahead of time, refrigerated and then cooked up when you are ready to eat. You can also easily separate portions to freeze for another time.
This twist on traditional lasagna can be served as a side dish or as a main. Next time you’re looking for a warming family meal give these a try!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- 9 lasagna noodles (recipe makes 6 roll ups but I make extra in case of breakage)
- 4oz fresh spinach chopped and de-stemmed
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- ½ sweet onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 680ml of passata (typically one glass jar)
- 1¼ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 400 grams ricotta
- 1½ cup shredded cheese mozzarella cheese (I usually use the Italiano blend which has a few types combined)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- handful of fresh basil chopped for garnish
- Cook lasagna noodles as directed, drain, and rinse under cold water and set aside
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan on medium heat. Add red pepper, onion, and garlic and cook for 6-7 minutes stirring constantly until soft.
- Add spinach and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. (Spinach will significantly reduce). Remove and put in a large bowl to cool.
- Make the sauce using the same pan. Add passata, brown sugar, garlic powder, oregano, ½ tsp of the salt, and ¼ tsp of the pepper. Cook on medium heat for about 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally and set aside.
- Now back to the vegetable mixture in the bowl. Add the egg, ricotta, 1 cup shredded cheese, the remaining ½ tsp salt, and remaining ¼ tsp pepper and mix together.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover the bottom of a casserole dish with about half the sauce.
- Now to assemble use a cutting board or other clean flat surface. Lay the lasagna noodles down flat and spread the vegetable/cheese mixture evenly on about 6 noodles. Gently roll each one and place into the casserole dish.
- Top each roll with remaining sauce and sprinkle with some additional shredded cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for ½ hour. Uncover and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil. Enjoy!