Are you looking for a great new recipe to help cut down on the carbs? Well, these Zoodles in a lemon garlic cream sauce with crisp prosciutto will be the perfect option for you.
Zoodles (or zucchini noodles) are a delicious alternative to traditional pasta noodles, helping you to fill up on more veggies. To make zoodles, you first need to have a proper spiralizer, I personally use the Paderno Spiral Vegetable Slicer, which can be found on Amazon. This affordable little gadget gets some great use in our home, as it can be used to cut and slice a variety of other harder fruits and vegetables. For best results, I choose to pan fry the zoodles. I’ve tried boiling them as well, but in my opinion they come out too wet as the water really sticks to them, making them turn out a bit soggy. So heat up some oil in a pan, toss in your zoodles for a few minutes and your done.
For this recipe, I decided to do something different and make a cream sauce, which turned to be a great tasting idea. Usually I pair my zoodles with tomato based or other meat sauces, which can work just as well. The base cream sauce is garlicky and has a lovely hint of lemon, which I then add peas and mushrooms to for a winning combination. Finally I top the zoodles off with some crisp prosciutto and a bit of fresh parmesan cheese, making for a healthy and delicious meal. The best part for me is that my daughter enjoys eating these “green noodles”, a perfect way to sneak in an extra bit of vegetables into her diet. These zoodles are great served with a salad, like our Crunchy Kale Quinoa Salad.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 3-4 Zucchini's in spiral shape, see notes above if needed (tip: thicker zucchini's will cut better)
- 5 thin slices of prosciutto cut into strips
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen peas
- zest from one lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 teaspoon
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- In a deep pan heat 1 teaspoon olive oil on medium high heat
- Add prosciutto and cook for about 3 minutes or until crisp, stirring often. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate or bowl.
- Lower heat to medium, add 2 more tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and add mushrooms. Cook for about 5-6 minutes stirring often until mushrooms are soft, stirring often. Add more oil to the pan if needed.
- Add the garlic and continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add whipping cream, peas, zest of lemon and simmer for about 3-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Meanwhile in another pan heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium high heat. Add zucchini and cook, stirring constantly for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve sauce over zucchini noodles and top with crisp prosciutto and fresh parmesan cheese.