This is another family favourite that serves as the perfect breakfast and snack food. When you are looking to whip up something quickly and want to make sure that it will please even the pickiest toddler, you make this Healthy Banana Bread. Chocked full of nutritious ingredients and topped with walnuts and, oh yes, chocolate chips.
We used to make banana muffins all the time when I was growing up, but the recipe called for lots of oil, way too much sugar and lots of white flour. And so, I was inspired to test and create a banana bread recipe that would work for my family and I think this one nails it.
The banana bread comes out moist and sweet (but not too sweet) and the toppings entice the toddlers (or picky eaters) in your life to at least take a bite. Bake it today, you truly will not be disappointed.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (or use olive oil)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3.5 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup vanilla almond milk (or cow's milk)
- 1¼ cup almond meal
- 1¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup gluten free oats
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or chocolate)
- ¼ cup pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash banana in a large bowl. Add vanilla, egg, oil, both sugars, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and milk. Mix to combine.
- Add almond meal, oats and flour and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into loaf pan and top with walnuts, pecans and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 1.5 hours. Test with toothpick to ensure it comes out clean. If it doesn't, bake for a few more minutes.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!