Elevate your breakfast or brunch game with this Veggie Packed Shakshuka, a hearty and flavorful dish originating from North Africa and the Middle East. Loaded with vibrant vegetables and poached eggs in a rich and aromatic tomato sauce, this dish is a feast for the senses. Bursting with savoury and spicy flavours, it’s perfect for sharing with loved ones or enjoying on a lazy weekend morning. Get ready to dive into a world of taste sensations with this delicious and nutritious shakshuka recipe!
Veggie Packed ShakshukaCourse: Food u0026amp; Recipes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (any color)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for extra heat)
1 can (14 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 zucchini, diced
1 cup baby spinach leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Crumbled feta cheese for garnish (optional)
Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
Crusty bread or pita for serving
- Prepare the Vegetables: Heat olive oil in a large skillet or cast-iron pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and bell peppers to the skillet. Sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the minced garlic to the skillet and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add Spices and Tomatoes: Sprinkle the ground cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper (if using) over the vegetables in the skillet. Stir to coat the vegetables evenly with the spices. Pour the crushed tomatoes into the skillet and stir to combine with the vegetables and spices. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5-7 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Add Zucchini and Spinach: Add the diced zucchini and baby spinach leaves to the skillet. Stir gently to incorporate the vegetables into the tomato sauce. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for another 5 minutes, until the zucchini is tender and the spinach wilts.
- Poach the Eggs: Using a spoon, create small wells or indentations in the tomato mixture for each egg. Crack one egg into each well. Cover the skillet and let the eggs poach in the simmering tomato sauce for about 5-7 minutes, or until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny. Adjust the cooking time to your preference for egg doneness.
- Garnish and Serve: Once the eggs are cooked to your liking, remove the skillet from heat. Garnish the shakshuka with crumbled feta cheese (if using) and chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. Serve the Veggie Packed Shakshuka hot, directly from the skillet, with crusty bread or pita for dipping and soaking up the delicious sauce. Enjoy this flavorful and satisfying dish as a breakfast, brunch, or even a light dinner option!