Where I live in Ontario, fiddleheads are one of the first vegetables ready in early Spring for harvest. These greens are the furled fronds of a young fern and when cooked they taste similar to asparagus. They are only in season for a few weeks in Spring so grab them while you can and try this delicious recipe of fiddleheads with mushrooms and pancetta.
You can never go wrong adding pancetta to anything, so needless to say it really helps to make this recipe extra delicious. It’s perfect to serve as a side dish at your next dinner party and might even be something new to your guests as you don’t often see fiddleheads. Be sure to cook as indicated in the recipe, as it is important to know that some varieties when eaten raw or undercooked can cause food poisoning or make you sick! Aside from that, fiddleheads are loaded with iron, omega 3/6 and fibre. I strongly encourage you to head over to your local market or grocer to find these ferns and try something new before they are out of season!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 175 g diced pancetta
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz white sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups fiddleheads (washed and all brown papery bits removed)
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, (enough for the only the fiddleheads) and boil fiddleheads for 5-6 minutes then remove and rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat olive oil over medium heat and fry pancetta until starting to brown. Remove from the pan on a separate plate and set aside.
- Remove any left over oils in the pan while leaving only 1 tablespoon.
- Add butter and melt in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low
- Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Stirring often.
- Add garlic for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add fiddleheads, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for about 6-7 minutes.
- Add pancetta and continue to cook for an additional minute. Enjoy!