When trying to make a flavourful and delicious soup, you always need a good broth. This soup starts off by frying kielbasa sausage, then sauteing onion, carrot, and celery. You do this to give the broth its flavour, before putting in the stock which makes all the difference. By adding in a few more healthy ingredients like collard greens, beans, and tomatoes, this soup is really is nutritious and delicious! So give this hearty Vegetable Soup with Kielbasa Sausage a try with your family, and I bet they’ll enjoy it as much as mine does!
One thing I love about this soup is that can be served as a starter or as a meal on its own. It also keeps very well in the fridge, so you can easily reheat it for a quick dinner anytime.
If you’re like me and have young kids at home, you’ll know sometimes getting them to eat anything can be a challenge, even when your serving things that they like. As for my toddler, if she is feeling picky and won’t eat a full bowl of this vegetable soup, I’ll serve it over some rice or noodles instead, which usually does the trick. I know this soup will help you beat even the pickiest of eaters. Enjoy!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in your IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
- 200 grams Kielbasa sausage chopped in small pieces
- ½ a sweet onion chopped
- 2 cups carrot chopped
- 1½ cups celery chopped
- 3 minced garlic gloves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomato
- half bunch collard greens chopped in small pieces
- 1 can (540 ml) white kidney beans (cannellini beans)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp pepper (more to taste)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat
- Add sausage and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until starting to brown stirring often. Remove sausage and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, cook for about 4-5 minutes stirring often.
- Add broth and tomato and bring to a boil.
- Lower to med-low heat and simmer covered about 15 minutes.
- Uncover and add collard greens, sausage, beans, salt, basil, pepper, and be sure to get it back to a simmer (you may need to increase your heat back to medium) and cook an additional 5-10 minutes or until collard greens are soft.