Plum cake is a delightful treat that perfectly balances the sweetness of ripe plums with the rich, moist texture of cake. This recipe yields a moist and flavorful cake that showcases the juicy goodness of plums in every bite. With a hint of warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, this cake is perfect for cozy gatherings or as a sweet indulgence for any occasion. Whether served warm with a dollop of whipped cream or enjoyed with a cup of tea, this plum cake is sure to become a favourite in your recipe collection.
Plum Cake RecipeCourse: Food u0026amp; Recipes
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup sour cream
3-4 ripe plums, pitted and sliced
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat Oven and Prepare Pan: Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Prepare Dry Ingredients: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined. Set aside.
- Cream Butter and Sugar: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy, using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
- Add Eggs and Vanilla: Beat in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract, until fully incorporated.
- Incorporate Dry Ingredients and Sour Cream: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Assemble Cake: Spread half of the batter into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the sliced plums evenly over the batter. Spoon the remaining batter over the plums and spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Prepare Topping: In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter.
- Bake: Place the cake pan in the preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Cool and Serve: Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve slices of the plum cake warm or at room temperature, optionally with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!