Rigatoni Peperonata is a hearty and flavorful pasta dish that combines the robust flavours of sweet bell peppers, tangy tomatoes, and aromatic herbs. This Italian-inspired recipe is a celebration of simple ingredients coming together to create a satisfying meal. With its vibrant colours and rich flavours, Rigatoni Peperonata is sure to become a favourite in your culinary repertoire. Whether you’re cooking for a weeknight dinner or entertaining guests, this dish is sure to impress with its comforting taste and rustic charm.
1 pound rigatoni pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
3 bell peppers (red, yellow, or orange), thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
Salt and black pepper to taste
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional, for a bit of heat)
Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Cook Pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the rigatoni according to the package instructions until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté Onions and Peppers: In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and bell peppers to the skillet and sauté until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add Garlic and Tomatoes: Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Then, add the diced tomatoes (with their juices) to the skillet, along with the dried oregano, dried basil, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes if using. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer Sauce: Reduce the heat to low and let the sauce simmer for about 15-20 minutes, allowing the flavours to meld together and the sauce to thicken slightly. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Combine Pasta and Sauce: Once the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency, add the cooked rigatoni to the skillet with the sauce. Toss well to coat the pasta evenly with the sauce.
- Serve: Transfer the Rigatoni Peperonata to a serving dish or individual plates. Sprinkle-grated Parmesan cheese over the top and garnish with fresh basil leaves. Serve hot and enjoy the delicious flavours of this classic Italian pasta dish!