Happy Taco Tuesday everyone! Since there can never be enough taco recipes, why not share another one today! Today’s recipe is for Honey butter chicken and saucy bean tacos.
A few months ago, I went to a Mexican cooking class at the Culinary Studio in Waterloo. As you probably guessed, I love learning new recipes, especially when they are prepared authentically. This class taught me several new Mexican dishes that I can now make at home, and my family just can’t get enough. Along with the chicken and bean taco recipe I learned to make salsa verde and Mexican crema which were both perfect for topping this tacos. You can buy or make your own salsa verde and the crema is super easy. Just mix together 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup whipping cream. I highly recommend using these fixings when following this recipe.
Another thing to make your tacos truly authentic would be to get yourself some homemade flour tortilla’s from your local Mexican grocer. They really make all the difference to me, so go all out, trust me it’s worth it! Finally, to complete your taco Tuesday, serve these taco’s with our authentic Posole Salad with Avocado and a Cilantro Vinaigrette. This is another lovely Mexican recipe I learned from the class and boasts authentic flavours which is the perfect complement to your taco feast.
I hope you get the chance to try some of these recipes as they are all so delicious, and quite easy to make. If you too live in the Waterloo area, consider visiting the Culinary Studio for one of their classes, they are fabulous.
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies.
Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- For the Ancho Chili Sauce (for the beans):
- 2 ancho dried chili's
- 1 dried guailljo chili
- ½ onion, charred
- 2 garlic gloves
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ¾ tsp salt
- For the Saucy Beans:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- For the Honey Butter Chicken:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (or breasts)
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp butter
- ¼ cup Valentina's Mexican hot sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- To top tacos:
- flour tortillas
- Queso Fresco cheese
- Optional: garnish with Mexican crema (see notes above) and salsa verde
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and coat with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Bake at 425F for 30-45 minutes. Once cool enough to handle cut into strips.
- Meanwhile make the chili sauce by first rehydrating the dried chili peppers. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add dried peppers. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, remove pepper from pot. Remove stems and squish out any seeds.
- Add rehydrated chili peppers to a food processor along with the other ancho chili sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Make the beans. Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add onion stirring occasionally until they are dark golden brown and caramelized.
- Add cumin and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Stir in black beans, 3 tbsp chili sauce and chicken stock. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Add more seasoning or liquid if needed.
- Now make the chicken. Pre-heat a pan on medium high heat. Add 2-3 tbsp sunflower oil. Add onions, stirring occasionally until caramelized.
- Remove onions from the pan and set aside. Add butter to allow to burn. The butter should smell nutty. Stir in hot sauce, than honey and finally the vinegar.
- Now return onions to the pan and sauce. Stir in the chicken and coat with sauce.
- Assemble tacos. Fill tortilla's with chicken, beans, and any other fixings you'd like.