Quinoa Burritos have been my go to meal when I need something quick and healthy during the week. These quinoa burritos are bursting with flavour and you don’t miss the “meat” at all (my husband agrees!). Simple ingredients make up this dish including quinoa (my go to is Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quinoa), black beans, zucchini, corn, red pepper, onion, garlic and cilantro.
What makes these quinoa burritos so much fun is that the kids can customize their burritos with whatever additional toppings they want. I usually put out salsa or pico de gallo, guacamole or avocado slices, cheddar cheese, sour cream or plain Greek yogurt and hot sauce. My whole family really, really likes these burritos and it is why they are our SNEAKY SUNDAY recipe this week.
To make this baby friendly as well, instead of rolling it into an actual burrito, I serve a deconstructed version with some additional toppings. It’s not very often that I prepare a new meal and instantly my entire family enjoys it, but surprisingly enough this has been a huge hit. I’ve been trying to create at least one or two strictly vegetarian dishes a week for dinner, and this one has been making a regular appearance.
When I first made this for my family, I was basically holding my breath to see if they would even give this a try…I mean I’m really testing the limits here, but they really liked. My eldest loved the fact that I let him eat it with as much salsa as he wanted, and my youngest topped it with huge amount of cheese, and so everyone was happy.
These quinoa burritos are also super tasty reheated the following day and if you want to get really creative you could toss it into a salad. It already has so much flavour that you do not need to add a dressing to it and it makes for a perfect lunch.
Hope that you and your family enjoy these as much as we do! We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano (dried)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion (white or red work), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 can black beans, thoroughly rinsed
- 1 cup corn (I use frozen)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Cilantro, chopped
- Large Tortilla Wraps
- Salsa (topping, optional)
- Pico De Gallo (topping, optional)
- Cheddar cheese (topping, optional)
- Sour Cream (topping, optional)
- Plain Greek Yogurt (topping, optional)
- Guacamole (topping, optional)
- Avocado (topping, optional)
- Hot sauce (topping, optional)
- In a small cup mix all of the spices together. This will be your burrito seasoning.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add rinsed quinoa to the pot, cover and cook until soft and tender, approx 10-12 min (or follow directions on your quinoa package). Once soft, fluff with a fork and keep covered. Set aside.
- In a large pan, add olive oil and warm until sizzling. Add the onion and garlic and cook until it begins to turn golden brown.
- Next add the red pepper and zucchini and cook until all vegetables are soft and tender. Watch carefully and stir often. Add in the black beans, corn, cooked quinoa and burrito seasoning and coat everything evenly with the seasoning.
- Once everything in evenly coated, immediately add the tomato sauce. Stir everything together and allow for the tomato sauce to soak up the quinoa and veggies. At this time if you find that the quinoa is looking a little dry, add a few more tablespoons of the tomato sauce. You do not want it to be too thin/watery, but with enough sauce that it is not too dry.
- Top with chopped cilantro and then you can start assembling your burritos.
- Add the quinoa mixture into a tortilla wrap and top with any toppings you would like.