Alright friends, don’t let the name of these muffins throw you off. Ok? Still with me. Just trust me when I say that you will want to give these sneaky veggie muffins a try. These tender little things taste like moist, fluffy and oh so yummy carrot muffins and you cannot detect the veggies we packed in here at all. These super sneaky veggie muffins are packed with dates, zucchini, carrots, applesauce, hemp hearts and almond flour and they are a dream.
I was having a hard time nailing down the ratio of the wet vs. dry ingredients for these muffins and then I stumbled upon a recipe from Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain cookbook that was worked with the same ingredients that I was playing around with and let’s just say she nailed it. Of course I added in some hemp hearts to the mix as well (because I LOVE them), but I leave them as an optional ingredient here for you. I also added in a small amount of chocolate chips as whenever I do, my kids are always more enticed to try something new.
I really think that you are going to love these sneaky muffins. I served these to my kids and their friends for an after school snack and they were inhaled. We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- ¼ cup pitted dates
- ¼ cup thinly grated zucchini
- ½ cup thinly grated carrots
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- ¼ cup hemp hearts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with muffin papers.
- If your dates are a bit dry, place them in a bowl with warm water to allow them to soften up a bit.
- Grate your carrots and zucchini as thinly as possible and squeeze out as much moisture as you can from both. Place on a paper towel to dry and pat dry.
- Place dates, eggs and apple sauce in a magic bullet or mixer and mix until smooth (about 30 seconds or so).
- In a large bowl place the almond flour, baking soda, salt and hemp hearts and mix thoroughly until well combined. Add in the wet ingredients, along with the carrots and zucchini and combine.
- If using, add your chocolate chips into the batter and combine just slightly.
- Divide the batter among the 12 muffins cups, filling each about ¾ way full. Bake for 30 minutes. Once fully baked, cool for 10 minutes and then place on a wire rack to finish cooling.