Slow roasted chicken, bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, and white wine make up this tasty recipe for chicken cacciatore. This classic Italian dish is a comfort meal bursting with bright colours and fresh flavour.
Enjoy this delicious meal with any favourite side. We like to serve it over pasta, rice, or I recently have been enjoying it over spaghetti squash. I hope you get a chance to enjoy it with family as I did!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 500 g whole mushrooms, halved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 800 ml can plum tomatoes, juice drained
- 4 garlic gloves, halved
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 5 springs of thyme
- 6 pieces chicken, use breasts, thighs, or mix between the two
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a frying pan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft. Transfer to a large, deep baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Combine all the other ingredients, as for salt and pepper add 2 tablespoons salt, 1 tablespoon pepper. Stir together.
- Bake for 1.5-2 hours, until chicken is cooked and peppers are well softened. Stir every half hour. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.