It’s our favourite day of the week again, Sneaky Sunday! So today we are sharing something sweet for your picky eater at home, a Strawberry Sorbet with Chia Seeds! It’s dairy free, has only a few simple ingredients, and it filled with fruit and chia seeds, a perfect way to sneak in some extra nutrition into the tummies of your little ones (or big ones).
The idea of this recipe was inspired by my daughter, Aubrey. Aubrey was born with several allergies, dairy, nut, egg, soy, so needless to say I have the added challenge of always being mindful of her dietary needs. Since Aubrey can’t have traditional ice cream, which is made with milk, I am always looking for dairy free sorbets for her to enjoy. But not all ice cream shops can accommodate for this dietary request, so we are sure to stop at places that do, because she loves sorbet, and I love to treat her. So then I thought why not make our own at home and sneak some good ingredients inside it. So that’s when I decided to make this Strawberry Sorbet with Chia Seeds.
When Aubrey first tasted the sorbet she gave it a thumbs up, and although she could tell the texture was different from the seeds, she thought it was from raspberries. So when she asked if there were raspberries inside, you bet I told her yes! I hope you get a chance to share this special treat with your family at home, and help sneak some extra nutrition into your diets. Enjoy!
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies weekly newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 2½ pounds whole fresh strawberries (3 pints), washed and halved with greens removed.
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1¼ cups water
- ¼ cup lemon juice (from about 1 large lemon)
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- pinch of salt
- sliced strawberries for garnishing (optional)
- mint leaves for garnishing (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat combine sugar and water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Let it cool to room temperature. Add lemon juice and salt and stir.
- Place strawberries, chia seeds and syrup mixture in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer sorbet in a container with an air tight lid. Freeze sorbet until it resembles soft serve ice cream. Scoop sorbet into small bowls and garnish with mint leaves and fresh strawberries.