These are no word of a lie, the best banana muffins ever! These glorious little guys are packed with healthy ingredients, including almond meal, oats, almond milk and minimal sweeteners. My kids ask for these banana muffins on a regular basis, and when I bake them they are gone within 2-3 days max. I’ve tested out a LOT of banana muffin recipes since I first started baking, but these check off all the boxes for me. They are moist in the inside with a crispy’ish muffin top and most importantly, it’s all about the ingredients and these pack a healthy list. What’s also amazing, is that these can be made in ONE BOWL!
These banana muffins are adapted from one of my absolute favourite food bloggers ever, Dana from the Minimalist Baker. She is a total whiz in the kitchen and my blogger crush for sure. Her food images are all mouth watering and she creates recipes that are special-diet friendly, specifically plant-based and gluten-free. She has definitely inspired some of the vegetarian recipes I have shared on here and continue to test on my family.
But back to these banana muffins guys – I cannot tell you enough just how incredible they are. Instead of topping them with nuts, I always do just a few sprinkle of chocolate chips and that is always enough to entice the kids. And have I told you just how moist and fluffy they are inside – because it’s crazy. Please give these a try as they make a perfect snack (especially with school starting again soon!) or breakfast on the go as they are packed with 7.2g of protein in 1 muffin (what!!).
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 egg (or 1 flax egg)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup packed organic brown sugar
- 2½ Tbsp maple syrup (can be omitted if your banana's are very ripe)
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other dairy-free milk; do not sub in for standard cow milk)
- 1¼ cup almond meal
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour OR gluten-free flour blend
- 1¼ cup oats
- optional: chocolate chips for sprinkling on top of muffins or nuts, like walnuts would work well here
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a standard muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare the flax egg or beat an egg until fluffy. Add the banana and mash with the egg. Then add the baking powder and baking soda and stir together.
- Add the vanilla, oil, coconut sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup if using, salt and whisk to combine. Add the almond milk and whisk one more time to combine everything throughly.
- Next add the almond meal, flour and oats and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between the muffin tins.
- Top with nuts or chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for approx 32-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean and the edges are dark golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Then remove from tin and let cool completely on a cooling rack.