With the days getting shorter and the weather getting colder, all I crave are warm, comforting soups and stews. There is something so wonderful in being able to come home to warm stew that is not only healthy but delicious as well. This warming potato, carrot and lentil stew hits all the right spots and is a family favourite recipe. It is full of healthy ingredients including fresh grated ginger, turmeric, potatoes, celery, carrots and of course lentils.
I have to admit, my 2 year old LOVES this stew so very much, but my almost 5 year old won’t go near it. I’ve mentioned before that my son tends to be the pickier one and so I am not overly surprised that this isn’t his thing as he hates potatoes, but normally this combination of flavours suits him. Aw well. The point is, one of my children likes it and eventually (hopefully), my son will learn to like it as well.
This is one of those one-pot meals that goes a long way and is made from pretty economical and staple ingredients. We find that it pairs perfectly alongside some crusty warm bread or a salad to make it a fully balanced meal.
I really hope that you give this warming potato, carrot and lentil stew a try and sneak it into the family dinner menu for your picky eaters to try as well. You never know and wouldn’t it be amazing if they actually enjoyed it!?
We love feedback, so if you try one of our recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag us in our IG photo’s using #sneakymommies. Never miss another recipe again by subscribing to our Sneaky Mommies newsletter. As a member, you will also receive EXCLUSIVE bonus recipes not found on our blog. Sign up today!
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cround coriander
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed into small bite sized pieces (I use Yukon or yellow potatoes)
- 2 celery stalks, diced into small bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced into small bite sized pieces
- 1 cup green lentils (French lentils work well here too)
- 5 cups chicken stock (do not substitute for water)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- In a large pot, melt the ghee. Once melted, add the onion and saute until translucent and soft.
- Add the cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, black pepper and all spice and mix well with the onion. You want the spices to become fragrant; mix for 1 min or so.
- Add the potatoes, celery, carrots, lentils and stock and mix thoroughly to ensure that everything is coated.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer the soup with the lid on for approx 45 - 50 minutes.
- The soup is done when the lentils are nice and creamy and all of the vegetables are soft.
- Serve immediately and enjoy with fresh bread or salad.